2023 Award Recipient
Partner, McCarthy Tetrault LLP
The OBA Taxation Law Section is pleased to announce Nigel Johnston, Partner, McCarthy Tetrault LLP as the recipient of the 2023 OBA Award for Excellence in Taxation Law.
Each year, the Taxation Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association (“OBA”) presents the Award for Excellence in Taxation Law.
About the Award
The award for Excellence in Taxation Law was created to recognize exceptional contributions and/or achievements by members of the OBA in the area of taxation law.
The number of award(s) to be presented annually will generally not exceed one. If in the opinion of the Nominating Committee there is no appropriate candidate in a given year, no award will be presented.
Any member of the Taxation Law Section of the OBA in good standing is eligible to nominate a candidate by submission in writing of a letter of recommendation, a nomination form, and a curriculum vitae outlining the nominee’s qualifications. The nominator must indicate that the candidate has been advised of the nomination prior to the nomination deadline and has consented to the nomination.
Nominations shall be solicited:
- By a Call for Nominations to the Section Membership.
- Through members of the Executive of the Taxation Law Section.
- Through members of the taxation law bar throughout Ontario.
Criteria for Selection
The recipient shall demonstrate leadership in the taxation law bar through knowledge, experience, skill, commitment, passion, strength of character, plus all or some of the following:
- Contribution to legal education and professional development including, but not limited to, lecturing at law schools, participation in continuing legal education programs, and academic or professional writing.
- Participation in the OBA Taxation Law Section Executive or Law Society of Ontario on taxation law matters.
- Leadership in the taxation law bar by acting as a role model and mentor for new members of the profession and to his or her peers.
- Contribution to the community through pro bono work or other projects or initiatives.
- Contribution as counsel or as a judge to the development of the taxation law legislative framework.
Any Taxation Law Section member of the OBA in good standing is eligible to receive the award. Current members of the Taxation Law Section Executive are not eligible for nomination.
The award will be presented at an award dinner on a date to be determined by the Taxation Law Section Executive.
Conflicts of Interest
If any member of the Nominating Committee practises at the same firm as any of the nominees, that member must declare a conflict and will be replaced by another member of the Taxation Law Section Executive to be selected by the Chair of the Section.
The Nominating Committee shall be comprised of the Past Chair, the Chair and one other member of the Taxation Law Section Executive (such member to be selected by the Taxation Law Section Executive, with a vote to be taken if there is more than one candidate). The Nominating Committee shall be formed each year at the Taxation Law Section Executive’s first meeting. The Chair of the Taxation Law Section Executive for the year shall act as the Chair of the Nominating Committee.
The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
A plaque will be presented to the recipient.
For additional information about the award, please contact:
Sections Coordinator, OBA Taxation Law
T: (800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x399
- 2022 - Carrie Smit
- 2021 - Jinyan Li
- 2020 - Jack Bernstein
- 2019 - Alexandra Brown
- 2018 - David Chodikoff
- 2017 - Alan M. Schwartz, Q.C.
- 2016 - Brian Carr