Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for safeguarding our reputation, limiting our risk, and ensuring that the company follows legal guidelines. The successful candidate will be giving legal advice to management about all relevant issues. They will review, interpret, and translate legal requirements, and effectively communicate these to the relevant stakeholders.
- Partner with key stakeholders to draft, negotiate, and finalize commercial agreements, support agreements, professional services agreements, and other types of agreements related to our business.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within the organization to build efficiencies and processes into the client contracting lifecycle to enable scalability and rapid growth.
- Review and negotiate vendor contracts.
- Provide expert and strategic counsel.
- Be a trusted advisor for key stakeholders.
- Work with various internal stakeholders on a variety of legal matters relating to technology, regulatory compliance, intellectual property matters, and more.
- Act as a subject matter expert on relevant laws, regulations, and policies and ensure company compliance.
- Resolve daily issues and/or escalate with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations.
- Identify risks and implement appropriate actions to mitigate them.
- Build effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide advice and guidance in the best interests of the company, including general legal advice on best practices for compliance, input on business decisions and contract negotiations, and legal strategies for litigation and other legal activities.
- Draft and solidify agreements, statements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights and protections are in place.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to the leadership team around a variety of legal topics (labor law, partnerships, international ventures, corporate finance, etc.).
- Manage and mitigate legal risks by designing and implementing company policies and procedures as well as regularly monitoring compliance.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Apply effective enterprise risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust.
- Execute procedures for applying for and protecting patents, trademarks, and industrial designs.
- Handle litigation scenarios should they arise.
- Keep up with current changes on all relevant areas of laws and contributing to the enhancement of the knowledge base of the company’s legal function.
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements.
- Other duties as required.
- Law degree or equivalent is required.
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage.
- Must have 3+ years of proven experience as a legal counsel in a business environment.
- Must have experience in a software company and understand the intricacies of related legal issues.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Highly analytical, with good organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Experience with, or a strong interest in, privacy law (Canada and the United States (HIPAA and/or PHIPA compliance in particular)) and knowledge of the healthcare industry will be considered an asset.
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues and risks in terms that non-legal colleagues can understand.
- Excellent comprehension of federal, provincial and state law.
- Proactive and self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Must be able to handle and prioritize multiple complex assignments in a busy environment.
- Solution-oriented, thinks pragmatically and strategically.
View full description