Call for Nominations
This Award was established to recognize, honour and celebrate the outstanding achievements of Ontario Bar Association members in the area of privacy law.
The Award is named for the late Karen Spector, in recognition of her excellence and dedication as a lawyer specializing in the practice of privacy law. Karen was active in the Privacy Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association and sat on the Section Executive. Karen established one of the first legal practices dedicated to privacy law in the province, wrote and spoke widely about privacy law issues and was an exceptional educator and mentor.
Criteria for Selection
This Award recognizes exceptional contributions and achievements by an Ontario Bar Association member in the area of privacy law, including some or all of the following:
- Outstanding legal contributions to the practice of privacy law;
- Outstanding contributions in the development of privacy law through scholarly and other writing and through public speaking on privacy issues;
- Outstanding organizational contributions in the private sector, in government and/or in the Ontario Bar Association in relation to privacy law matters;
- Outstanding mentorship contributions to other lawyers through personally sharing knowledge, experience and skills; and/or
- Other exemplary achievements in the area of privacy law.
The Award is available only to individuals, not law offices or other organizations or groups. The current Chair of the Section and the current members of the Nomination Committee are not eligible for nomination.
This Award is open to any Ontario Bar Association member who has made contributions in the area of privacy law, whether in the private or public sectors.
The nomination committee will review the nominations and select an award recipient.
A plaque is presented to the recipient.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 328
Past recipient winners of the OBA Karen Spector Memorial Award for Excellence in Privacy Law include:
2017 Award Recipient
The OBA Privacy and Access to Information Law Section is pleased to announce Pamela Snively, Telus Communications as the recipient of the 2017 OBA Karen Spector Memorial Award for Excellence in Privacy Law.
Pamela was honoured at a cocktail dinner Monday, June 19, 2017 at Twenty Toronto Street Conferences and Events. Veiw details
- 2017 - Pamela Snively
- 2016 - Brian Beamish
- 2015 - David Young
- 2013 - Adam Kardash
- 2012 - Ken Anderson
- 2011 - Suzanne Morin
- 2010 - Jennifer Stoddart, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- 2009 - Ian R. Kerr
- 2008 - Mary O’Donoghue
- 2007 - Jeffrey Kauffman
- 2006 - Priscilla Platt