2021 Award Recipient
General Counsel, Law Society of Ontario
The CCCA Ontario Chapter is pleased to announce Elliot Spears, General Counsel, Law Society of Ontario as the recipient of its 2021 CCCA Ontario Chapter Award of Excellence.
VIEW Elliot Spears BIO
About the Award
The OBA/ CCCA Ontario Chapter created this award to recognize the work of corporate counsel in Ontario.
To be eligible for the Award, an individual must have made a significant contribution in one or more of the following areas:
- Enhancement of the practice of corporate counsel
- Development of law applicable to corporate counsel, including teaching, writing and advocacy
- Leadership through participation in governmental/regulatory bodies and professional associations, including the CCCA
- Mentoring and teaching through the sharing of knowledge and experience
- Advocacy and/or adjudication
All nominees are required to be a member in good standing of the OBA and the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association to be eligible for the Award. Current members of the CCCA Ontario Chapter Executive, the CCCA National Executive and the OBA Board of Directors are not eligible.
Any OBA member, in good standing, may initiate a nomination. The nomination should comply with the following criteria:
- it must be on the prescribed nomination form and contain the signature of one OBA member in good standing
- it must be accompanied by a statement of the achievements of the candidate for the award.
While it is not mandatory, nominators and/or candidates may submit the candidate's resume and supporting letters with the application.
- The selection of the Award recipient will be made by the OBA/CCCA Ontario Chapter Awards Committee appointed by the Executive of the OBA/CCCA Ontario Chapter from nominations received by the deadline date. There shall only be one award presented annually.
- The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
Presentation of the Award
This award is under the discretion of CCCA Ontario Chapter Awards Committee and no award need be granted in any given year. The Award will be presented at the annual May/June end-of-year event in Toronto.
Coordinator, OBA/CCCA Ontario Chapter
Phone: (800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 407
Fax: (416) 869–1390
Past recipient winners of the CCCA Ontario Chapter Award of Excellence include:
- 2020 - Leola Pon
- 2019 - Paul Jonathan Saguil
- 2018 - Laila Brabander
- 2017 - Julia Shin Doi
- 2016 - Brian D. Wylynko
- 2015 - Lawrence J. Swartz
- 2014 - Madeleine Ménard
- 2013 - Christa Wessel