Legal Aid Ontario has taken further emergency temporary changes to billing and certificate coverage in order to address the continuing challenges of the COVID pandemic:
- Extending billing deadlines when submitted late as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, billing deadlines will be extended for accounts due between March 16, 2020 and September 30, 2020.
- Expanding the criteria for exceptional circumstances for discretionary payments beyond the applicable tariff to include additional work that was required as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Treating teleconference and video appearances as physical appearances for the purposes of LAO billing rules.
- Temporarily suspending authorizing guaranteed daily rate services and GDR travel as a result of the courts’ move to conduct hearings remotely.
- Allowing lawyers to bill a criminal law certificate as a block fee, or by the hourly tariff.
- Further information for Temporary Absence Permit certificate coverage including early release remedies at federal institutions