We are Julie DeWolf and Gregory Ko, your SOGIC chair and vice-chair for 2021-2022. We are excited to provide an update on our activities from last year and a preview of what we have in store this year.
Summary of last year
- In December 2020, we hosted our annual Holiday Social. While the party was hosted online, between trivia, Jack-in-the-Box, a rousing game of Would You Rather, and professional dance lessons, everyone had a blast.
- In February, we hosted a joint CPD program with the Elder Law Section, for an in-depth discussion about estate planning, pensions, benefits and long-term care for queer elders.
- We capped off our year with Pride Month in June. We continued the tradition of co-hosting an annual Pride event with the Law Society of Ontario (LSO). This year’s program was focused on the experiences of queer and BIPOC practitioners in law. We also ran another successful year of our Rainbow Tabs campaign.
Tentative plans for 2021-2022
- Save the date! Our Holiday Social and CPD event is currently scheduled for Thursday, December 2, 2021.
- Our incoming CPD representative, Teddy Weinstein, is already brainstorming ideas for our Spring CPD event in April. Watch your inbox for details in the new year.
- Behind the scenes, our executive members are working hard at promoting the use of pronouns at all levels of court in Ontario, and consulting on the country’s first municipal by-law banning conversion therapy in Kingston.
- We will be hosting the Inaugural Master Robert Muir Award and Mentoring Event with the Masters.
- Stay tuned for more details about our Pride events in June 2022, which will likely include another joint program with the LSO and our Rainbow Tabs.
Interested in getting involved? We still have some space for new executive members. We invite you to reach out to one of us if you’d like to make a guest appearance at an upcoming meeting to see what we’re all about. You can find our contact information under the “Executive” tab of the SOGIC OBA website.
Julie DeWolf and Gregory Ko
Any article or other information or content expressed or made available in this Section is that of the respective author(s) and not of the OBA.