About the Award
In Spring of 2023, the Insurance Law Section of the OBA will present its 18th Annual Award for Excellence in Insurance Law. The Award was created to recognize and thank outstanding members of the Ontario Bar Association for their exceptional achievements, distinguished service and contributions in the following areas:
- The development of insurance law through advocacy, teaching, writing or legislative reform;
- Leadership in the profession and particularly of lawyers practicing insurance law;
- Maintaining the highest standards of professional competence as well as the highest levels of honesty, integrity and civility;
- Enhancement of the profession of law and the well-being of the community.
All OBA members who are practicing lawyers in Ontario but not including current officers of the Insurance Law Section Executive or the Executive of the OBA.
The award recipient is confirmed by the Executive Committee of the Insurance Law section of the Ontario Bar Association, which is assisted in its deliberations by a Nomination and Selection Committee comprised of the Chair, Vice-Chair, members of the judiciary, past recipients and members selected from the profession at large. Members of the Section Executive and the Board are not eligible for the award.
Members of the OBA are invited to nominate candidates for the Award by providing a summary of the candidate’s qualities, contributions and achievements in the field of Insurance Law under the selection criteria described above. We welcome nominations from across Ontario.
The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
*All eligible candidates must be OBA members.
Nominations shall be solicited: by a request for nominations published at least 45 days prior to the meeting in the Ontario Reports; through members of the Executive of the Insurance Law Section; and through members of the Insurance Law Bar throughout the Province of Ontario. Any member of the Insurance Law Section of OBA in good standing is eligible to nominate a candidate by submission in writing, together with a curriculum vitae outlining the nominee’s qualifications. The nominator must indicate that the candidate has been advised of the nomination prior to the nomination deadline and consents thereto.
Deadline for Applications
Please submit your nomination and a letter of recommendation online, by Friday, March 3, 2023 prior to 5:00 pm.
ONLINE NOMINATION FORM
Dennis Y. T. Ong
Chair, Insurance Law Section
Ontario Bar Association
c/o Faryal Mehboob
300-20 Toronto Street Toronto, Ontario, M5C 2B8
Fax: 416 869-1390
Nominations and supporting material must be filed with the Nominations Committee of Insurance Law Section on a deadline to be set each year.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 366
- 2022 - Jim Vigmond (Barrie) and D. Keith Smockum
- 2021 - Todd J. McCarthy, Whitby and Richard H Shekter
- 2020 - John A. Olah and David F. Smye, Q.C., Hamilton
- 2019 - Glenn Smith, Toronto and Mark Lerner, London
- 2018- C. Kirk Boggs, Toronto
- 2017- Donald H. Rogers, Q.C., Toronto and Michael C. Birnie, North Bay
- 2016- John McLeish, Toronto and Wilfrid Menninga, Kingston
- 2015- Alfred Kwinter, Toronto and Owen Smith, New Liskeard
- 2014- Mary Margaret Fox, Toronto and Heather J. Williams, Ottawa
- 2013 - Bruce A. Thomas, Q.C., Toronto and Roger G. Oatley, Barrie
- 2012 - Barry A. Percival, Q.C., Toronto and Pasquale (Pat) Santini, Ottawa
- 2011 - Paul A. Lee, Q.C., Toronto and James C. Simmons, Q.C., Sudbury
- 2010 - W. Thomas McGrenere, Q.C., Toronto and Kristopher H. Knutsen, Q.C., Thunder Bay
- 2009 - Steven Stieber, Toronto
- 2008 - Geoffrey D. Adair, Q.C., Toronto and John F. Evans Q.C., Hamilton
- 2007 - Jesse T. Glass, Q.C. Toronto and Eric R. Williams, Ottawa
- 2006 - Philippa G. Samworth, Toronto