2018 Award Winner
Crown Attorney for Niagara North
The OBA Criminal Justice Section is pleased to announce Michal Sokolski as this year's recipient of the OBA Award of Excellence in Criminal Justice.
Award Presentation Information
About the Award
The award recognizes outstanding contribution to the advancement of criminal law. The recipient shall demonstrate leadership in the criminal law bar through knowledge, experience, skill, commitment, passion, strength of character, and all or some of the following:
- Contribution to legal education and professional development including, but not limited to, lecturing at law schools, participation in continuing legal education programs, and academic or professional writing
- Participation in the OBA Criminal Justice Section Executive or Law Society of Upper Canada on criminal law matters
- Leadership in the criminal justice bar by acting as a role model and mentor for new members of the profession and to his or her peers
- Contribution to the community through pro bono work or other projects or initiatives
- Contribution as counsel or as a judge to the development of the criminal law legislative framework
The following are standard criteria and must apply to the award:
- There is one criminal justice section award.
- An eligible candidate must be an OBA Member in good standing.
- An eligible candidate cannot be a member of the current executive, or the OBA Board of Directors.
- A candidate must be nominated by 2 OBA members.
- The nominators must submit a paragraph of a maximum 1000 words outlining why they feel the candidate deserves the award.
- The nomination must be accompanied by a copy of the nominee’s CV and a list of publications.
- The nomination may be accompanied by up to 5 supporting letters.
- The selection committee will consist of the
- immediate past chair(s)
- vice-chair(s), and
- a member outside of the GTA
- The selection committee will set the deadline for nominations each year.
- The selection committee may decide not to give the award in a given year.
PD Client Services Coordinator<
1(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 ext. 347
2017 Award Winner
Lafontaine & Associates