What is Burnout?
Burnout is more than simply feeling stressed or overworked. It is a state of emotional, mental and physical exhaustion that forms as a prolonged response to chronic stressors. In fact, the World Health Organization has identified burnout as "a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed."
Here are a few signs and symptoms to look for as well as some strategies for addressing burnout:
Signs of burnout:
- Low energy/extreme tiredness
- Feeling incapable
- Negative attitude toward work
- Decreased performance
- Feeling overwhelmed or overworked
Strategies for tackling burnout (while working from home):
- Evaluate your options
- Take care of your health (get some exercise, limit alcohol, work on better sleep habit, practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques)
- Take a few days off/unplug a little
- Connect with a community or cause that is personally meaningful to you
- Seek support
Remember, the OBA is a warm and welcoming community of lawyers that can help support you. Reach out to your fellow lawyers for connection, advice, and a little levity through our:
Your Member Assistance Program is also available to support you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.