HOPA Ports is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Legal Counsel to help guide the sustainable growth of Ontario’s largest port authority.
As a key member of the senior management team, the in-house Legal Counsel is responsible for overseeing a range of legal matters to support HOPA’s growth and legal compliance.
What you’ll do:
- Draft, review, negotiate and monitor a wide range of contracts, including but not limited to lease agreements, customer contracts, partnership agreements and memoranda of understanding to ensure key objectives are met.
- Maintain a working knowledge of commercial initiatives, contracts, and key governing legislation. Advise on compliance matters and implement processes to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
- Collaborate with external counsel when necessary to manage litigation matters. Develop strategies to minimize legal risks and resolve disputes efficiently.
- Provide guidance on employment-related matters, including employee contracts, policies, and dispute resolution. Stay informed about changes in Canada Labour Code and other relevant labor laws to ensure compliance.
- Serving as Corporate Secretary, support the Board of Directors in matters related to corporate governance.
- Identify and assess legal risks associated with business activities. Develop and implement risk mitigation strategies. Handle all insurance-related matters.
What you bring:
- LL.B/J.D from a recognized law school. Called to the Ontario Bar/ Licensed to Practice in Ontario, preferably with a focus on business or commercial law.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian laws, including contract law, employment law, and regulatory compliance.
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within cross-functional teams.
- French language skills an asset
Working at HOPA:
HOPA offers a competitive compensation package, including annual bonus program; defined contribution pension plan and health benefits; education support; employee charitable donation matching and more. HOPA offers a hybrid work model, subject to an onboarding period and requirements of the role. We require all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Recognized as one of Hamilton-Niagara’s Top Employers for three years in a row, our team manages Ontario’s largest and most successful port network. We strive to do our job in a way that protects the environment and enhances our community. Learn more about us: https://www.hopaports.ca/about-hopa/people-and-careers/
Everyone is welcome.
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous or persons of colour, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and others. We are happy to honour accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.
Please forward resumes by March 25, 2024, to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.