The foundation of RVA is built by our core values – quality, employee ownership, financial stability, and integrity.
Our commitment to our core values is reflected in our status as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, one of Greater Toronto's Top 2021 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top 2020 Small and Medium Employers. These earned accolades are an integral part of maintaining our stable foundation in a modern and growing workplace.
The future of RVA is growing with the culture of today.
Our goal of sustainable growth is reliant on the help of exemplary individuals who share our core values. We are looking for individuals who want to be a part of our culture – a culture where one takes ownership of their work and of their company. We believe that those who take ownership have the potential to achieve greater things and to grow within their company.
Do you want to play an active role in your future and that of your company?
Do you aspire to long term professional growth where you can become an owner in a leading established consulting firm?
If you answered yes to both questions, then we may have an opportunity that works for you.
General Counsel provides effective, timely and high-skilled legal services to manage risks while meeting business objectives. This role will be responsible for deploying the legal strategy to ensure corporate legal policies and procedures are applied consistently throughout the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides highly-skilled, strategic legal advice and exercises sound professional judgment.
- Reviews, negotiates, and drafts contracts for a broad range of routine and complex commercial and corporate relationships.
- Assist with template review activities to ensure standard documents are up to date with current legislation.
- Provide legal advice and support on a wide range of day-to-day commercial matters, including technology initiatives, information security, CASL and privacy-related matters, competition law, intellectual property, promotion and marketing materials, corporate policies, contract interpretation, commercial dispute resolution and litigation management.
- Manages the litigation process, and manages external counsel, as requested. Advises senior management and internal staff regarding status and conduct of litigation and seeks their input.
- Legal assessment of new business initiatives.
- Supports legal for acquisitions, divestitures, and other corporate arrangements.
- Retains, instructs, and coordinates external counsel as necessary based on the jurisdiction and complexity of transaction. Ensures appropriate due diligence and transactional documents are created. Participates as required in post-acquisition integration activities.
- Identifies regulatory compliance issues and makes continuous improvement suggestions.
- Supports the design and implementation of legal policies, procedures, guidelines, and training.
- Advise and assist with the management of corporate privacy compliance.
- Arranging for corporate filings under the direction of the Corporate Secretary.
- Notarize corporate documentation.
- Review of marketing/communications materials.
- Cultivates and manages relationships with regional external counsel.
- Works collaboratively with members of the Corporate Service/Risk Management Team to ensure uniform and consistent legal services across the Company.
- Keeps up-to-date in legal industry trends and legal and regulatory changes.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Qualified legal professional with at least 5+ years of relevant, working experience.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, negotiation and drafting skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Experience working on mergers and acquisitions is an asset.
- Able to assess facts and situations and make informed recommendations and judgment calls.
- Familiarity with litigation, intellectual property and general employment law would be assets.
- Analytical skills and reasoning; ability to interpret information from a variety of sources/situations and to develop and propose appropriate solutions in plain language.
- Builds consensus on complex legal issues.
- Be pro-active with a can-do attitude and ability to work well under pressure and proactively manage workload.
- Demonstrates the highest levels of integrity, ethics, and accountability.
- Initiative, a drive for continuous improvement, and the ability to operate effectively under pressure.
- Provides timely advice in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to work well in a team but to also have the initiative to work alone.
- Works through conflicts in a positive way.
R.V. Anderson Associates Limited (RVA) offers a competitive compensation package, with merit-based profit-sharing bonuses, company share ownership opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Accommodations:
At RVA, we are committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. RVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you require any special accommodations, please advise Human Resources. Any information received relating to accommodations will be treated as confidential.
Come and help us build the future at RVA!