We’re building a relationship-oriented bank for the modern world. We need talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to doing what’s right for our clients.
At CIBC, we embrace your strengths and your ambitions, so you are empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and are truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
To learn more about CIBC, please visit CIBC.com
What you’ll be doing
The Legal Division provides legal advice across CIBC, providing leadership on governance and regulatory requirements, managing reputation and operational risk, and the creation of employee programs and policies. As the Director, Trading Documentation, you will negotiate and execute master agreements in respect of over the counter and centrally cleared derivative and securities financing transactions and other trading products, on behalf of the Bank and its affiliates. You will work closely with trading room personnel, relationship managers, senior risk management officers and other members of the Legal Department to ensure that executed derivative and securities financing contracts reflect the Bank’s documentation policies and procedures with respect to trading products.
At CIBC we enable the work environment most optimal for you to thrive in your role. You’ll have the flexibility to manage your work activities within a hybrid work arrangement where you’ll spend 1-3 days per week on-site, while other days will be remote.
How you’ll succeed
- Negotiation Expert - Negotiate ISDA and other master agreements in respect of derivatives and securities financing (repurchase / securities lending) transactions, cleared derivatives execution agreements, prime brokerage give-up trading agreements, non-standard trade confirmations and related documentation, with a primary focus on the Bank’s corporate / commercial client base.
- Policy Development - development of standards and policies for all trading room derivatives and securities financing products and business units globally. Ensure documentation standards for credit risk of trading products conform to regulatory, legal and industry requirements; that they are communicated to pertinent individuals; and that all transactions are fully documented to protect the interest of the Bank.
- Relationship Management – Ability to manage multiple relationships, including trading room personnel, relationship managers and senior risk management officers up to and including executive levels. You foster positive working relationship with corporate clients, peers/counterparts in other banks, and regulators, negotiating documents and providing advice.
Who you are
- You can demonstrate experience in a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial law matters, with strong negotiation skills and a good understanding of ISDA Master Agreements and other derivative and securities financing documentation and treasury trading products.
- You have a law degree (preferred). Experience working at a law firm or as in-house counsel for a financial institution would be considered an asset.
- You put our clients first. You engage with purpose to find the right solutions. You go the extra mile, because it's the right thing to do.
- You're driven to succeed. You are motivated by accomplishing your goals and delivering your best to make an impact.
- Your influence makes an impact. You know that relationships and networks are essential to success. You inspire outcomes by making yourself heard.
- Values matter to you. You bring your real self to work and you live our values – trust, teamwork and accountability.
What CIBC offers
At CIBC, your goals are a priority. We start with your strengths and ambitions as an employee and strive to create opportunities to tap into your potential. We aspire to give you a career, rather than just a paycheck.
- We work to recognize you in meaningful, personalized ways including a competitive salary, incentive pay, banking benefits, a health benefits program, defined benefit pension plan, an employee share purchase plan and MomentMakers, our social, points-based recognition program.
- Our spaces and technological toolkit will make it simple to bring together great minds to create innovative solutions that make a difference for our clients.
- We cultivate a culture where you can express your ambition through initiatives like Purpose Day; a paid day off dedicated for you to use to invest in your growth and development.
What you need to know
CIBC is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities and we provide an accessible candidate experience. If you need accommodation, please contact Mailbox.firstname.lastname@example.org
You need to be legally eligible to work at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work or study permit
CIBC is committed to doing our part to protect our team, our clients and our communities. We want to ensure we have a safe and healthy workplace, and we want to do our part to get through this pandemic. In keeping with this commitment, and as a condition of employment, CIBC requires all successful candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date, or provide written proof of a medical exemption, or other substantiated accommodation request under applicable human rights legislation.