Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Powering the cars of the future. Giving new life to used metals. We are the leading circular materials technology company fulfilling its mission to create materials for a better life. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Rechargeable Battery Materials in Canada
Umicore is preparing to build a battery materials production plant in Loyalist Township, Ontario - the first of its kind in North America. The cutting-edge facility will be a critical part of Canada’s electric vehicle (EV) supply chain. Throughout the design, construction, and operation of the plant, Umicore will be seeking a variety of professionals who share our passion for innovation and sustainability.
What you will be doing
For this new site, we are looking for a Legal Counsel, reporting to the Head of the North American legal team. In this role you will be responsible for assisting Umicore’s various business units achieve their goals and objectives by providing timely, value-added legal services. Your main focus will be on the greenfield investment and launch of the Rechargeable Battery Materials business unit in North America.
- Review, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements governed by Canadian law, including purchase, sale, lease, construction, license, service, distribution, and intellectual property agreements with business partners and governmental authorities.
- Support compliance with covenants and reporting obligations, and amendment requests, under subsidy agreements with Canadian government entities.
- Resolve commercial disputes, mediations, arbitrations, litigations, and administrative proceedings by, among other things, drafting position statements, supervising discovery, and negotiating settlement agreements.
- Facilitate assigned M&A and Corporate Development projects, including negotiating non-disclosure agreements, conducting due diligence, and reviewing purchase and sale agreements.
- Assist with other legal matters as assigned by the Head of the North American Legal Team or Senior Vice-President Legal.
Who we are looking for
- Recognized Canadian law degree.
- A current license to practice law in Ontario and member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario (additional provincial law societies is a plus).
- You have 5+ years of experience as a lawyer, ideally in a law firm specializing in business law and/or as in-house counsel in a multinational company.
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial law, corporate law, business processes/procedures and transactions.
- Knowledge and understanding of Canadian construction law and capital equipment purchasing and associated agreements.
- Familiarity with U.S. law is helpful (but not required).
- Excellent client-service skills and the demonstrated ability to interact with and effectively advise business leaders at all levels.
- Able to work independently (function will be working geographically separated from the other colleagues in the North American legal team).
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Find out more information about our planned facility in Canada on rbm.umicore.com/en/Canada.
IF OUR BATTERY MATERIALS CAN BOOST THE RANGE OF E-CARS, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?
Umicore invites applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We provide support in our recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. If you are contacted to participate in our recruitment process and require accommodation, please let us know.