Job Title: Crown Prosecutor (38391)
Closing: Open until suitable candidate is found
Location: Multiple Locations
The Alberta Crown Prosecution Services Division (ACPS) has opportunities for Crown Prosecutors to join our Regional Prosecutions team here in Alberta. These positions are available in the Regional Prosecutions Office in St. Paul, Peace River, Red Deer and Grande Prairie Alberta.
As a Crown Prosecutor, you will help deliver justice through fearless, fair and effective prosecutions. The daily responsibilities of Crown Prosecutors encompass a multitude of duties, such as: bail, charge screening, early case resolution, alternative measures, whether to proceed to trial or discontinue a prosecution, conduct of all prosecutions, entering a stay of proceedings, withdrawing charges, plea resolution, provision of disclosure, electing to proceed summarily or by indictment, taking a position on sentence, drafting legal opinions/briefings, dealing with victims, witnesses and police, and launching appeals.
Specific accountabilities of the position include:
- The public interest is served and a just result is obtained
- The Court is provided with evidence and legal argument that is fair, accurate and complete
- Assigned prosecutions of all serious and complex cases are conducted in a highly competent manner
- Working with victims of crimes and their families
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Drafting legal opinions/briefings and court documents professionally and appropriately
- Working effectively to build collaborative environments with stakeholders of the justice system
- Problem solving and adapting approach as required to achieve intended outcomes
- Independent decision making
- Prioritizing actions/cases effectively to respond to numerous challenges and demands
- Analyzing situations fully to make informed decisions
A Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD), and active membership or immediate eligibility for membership with the Law Society of Alberta and related experience is required.
- Crown Prosecutor 1: 0 - 4 years legal experience is required.
- Crown Prosecutor 2: a minimum of 4 years legal experience is required.
- Crown Prosecutor 3: a minimum of 11 years legal experience is required.
Experience with criminal law is considered an asset.
For Law degrees obtained outside Canada, proof of accreditation from the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) is required.
A valid Alberta Motor Vehicle Operators License is a requirement. Travel within the province is required.
Crown Prosecutor 1 - $3,579.80 to $4,509.51 bi-weekly ($93,432.78 - 117,698.21/year)
Crown Prosecutor 2 - $5,072.82 to $6,282.04 bi-weekly ($132,400.60 - $163,961.24/year)
Crown Prosecutor 3 - $6,756.46 to $7,491.65 bi-weekly ($176,343.61 - $195,532.07/year)
Classification and salary will be determined based on candidate's assessed related experience.
For more details on eligibility and how to apply, visit: https://jobpostings.alberta.ca/job-invite/38391/
View full job description