Purpose of Position:
As a member of the management team of a premier full-service provider in regional aviation globally, Legal Counsel will report to the Vice President, Legal of Chorus Aviation Inc. The successful applicant will provide proactive, practical and sound advice to Chorus and its regional aviation services subsidiaries, Voyageur Aviation and Jazz Aviation, on a wide range of subject matters including passenger and cargo charter services, global operations, maintenance, repair and overhaul, design engineering, component sales and service programs with logistics management, aircraft sales, leasing and airline transitional support services.
- Review and negotiate commercial contracts on behalf of Chorus and its regional aviation services subsidiaries, with a significant focus on supporting Voyageur.
- Provide day-to-day advice in relation to human resources and labour matters.
- Monitor regulatory developments and assist with the implementation of new policies and procedures to support operational compliance.
- Draft and update contract templates used by Chorus’ regional aviation services subsidiaries.
- Identify potential insurance and tax issues and refer them to internal and external experts for advice as needed.
- Confer with internal project managers and subject matter experts for commercial background and business advice as needed.
- Consult and collaborate with external counsel and other members of Chorus’ Legal Department as needed.
- Manage and instruct external legal counsel.
- Deliver legal training.
- Assist with emergency response.
- Contribute to Chorus’ commitment to building a sustainable future and improving transparency and accountability in relation to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues.
- Perform duties in accordance with established policies and procedures while giving primary consideration to personal safety, and the safety of co-workers and customers.
- Bachelor of Laws / Juris Doctor or equivalent.
- A practicing member in good standing of a provincial or territorial law society in Canada.
- Three to six years post-qualification experience as a commercial lawyer. Aviation experience is an asset.
- Proven ability to work well in a collegial and cooperative team environment.
- Strong experience drafting, negotiating, and reviewing contracts.
- Strong attention to detail while managing competing priorities and demands on time.
- Superior analytical, judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to communicate information succinctly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Applicants must be eligible to work for a Canadian company and provide a clear criminal background check.
Chorus offers employees and their families a comprehensive benefit program, including:
- Basic life & accident insurance.
- Dependent life insurance.
- Long-term and short-term disability.
- Dental plan.
- Employee assistance program.
- Hybrid work arrangements.
Chorus’ vision is to deliver regional aviation to the world. Headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Chorus is an integrated provider of regional aviation solutions, including asset management services. Its principal regional aviation services subsidiaries are: Jazz Aviation, the sole provider of regional air services to Air Canada; and Voyageur Aviation, a provider of specialty air charter, aircraft modification, and parts provisioning services to regional aviation customers around the world. Chorus’ other principal subsidiary is Falko Regional Aircraft, the world’s largest asset manager and aircraft lessor focused solely on the regional aircraft leasing segment. Together, Chorus’ subsidiaries provide support services that encompass every stage of a regional aircraft’s lifecycle, including: aircraft acquisition and leasing; aircraft refurbishment, engineering, modification, repurposing and transition; contract flying; aircraft and component maintenance, disassembly, and parts provisioning.
Chorus recognizes that the best talent includes people of all backgrounds, abilities and points of view. To be a leader in our industry, Chorus celebrates diversity and values the uniqueness that each individual has to offer. We empower our people to foster an internal culture of inclusion, creating safe workspaces where everyone can be their authentic self. Meeting the needs of our diverse customers is critical to our success, and we recognize the importance of a workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve.