LIFE AFTER LAW is Canada’s trusted Legal Search Authority.
20+ years developing lasting relationships with lawyers, law firms and companies
Are you looking to use your legal experience in an alternative law firm role, without billable targets? Do you want a challenging role with flexibility and a remote work option?
Our client, a top tier international law firm is looking to grow their Practice Support team by adding a Practice Support Lawyer with Corporate- M&A experience.
Reporting to the Director, Practice Support, you will work alongside corporate group leadership to develop and execute its knowledge management strategy. Furthering the Firm’s technical excellence objectives, the Practice Support Lawyer will publish thought leadership, create practice materials, monitor and report on changes in the law and industry, develop new practice tools and methodologies, and design and deliver training. The Practice Support Lawyer will work closely with all Practice Support team members to provide service to the national M&A practice group across all Canadian offices.
The Role will Include:
- Locating, processing, synthesizing, and managing information and knowledge for lawyers, creating accessible and effective know-how resources and materials
- Writing and delivering memoranda and presentations reporting on new developments in the legal industry and case law, specifically when changes in law and client industries will affect practice and clients’ matters
- Assisting with drafting and editing papers, articles, bulletins, presentations and other materials for publication and distribution to clients
- Creating and collecting, disseminating, and promoting best practices in matter management, legal technology, communication, and collaboration
- Designing and delivering internal educational seminars for lawyers on practice resources and other related tools and products to facilitate continual education and improvement within the Corporate/ M&A practice group
- Drafting, enhancing, and updating model and precedent documents, toolkits and checklists and develop, collect, and classify content for inclusion in databases and practice group intranet sites
- Contributing to new and existing Practice Support projects and recommending new projects to meet particular challenges and needs
- Engaging in business development efforts for their Corporate/M&A group, including client outreach initiatives, seminars and pitches, to increase the Firm’s profile nationally and internationally
- Providing ongoing support to students and lawyers on the use of knowledge management resources and tools, including managing and facilitating training sessions
You are the ideal candidate if you have/are:
- JD/LLB and a minimum of 5 years of practice experience with a focus on M&A, corporate finance and general corporate law
- Strong experience in drafting and negotiating complex agreements with sophisticated stakeholders
- Qualified to practice law in Canada and a member in good standing with the relevant provincial Law Society
- Comfortable with legal technology, e.g. document automation, artificial intelligence and collaboration platforms
- Intellectual curiosity and genuine passion for corporate law and M&A
- Advanced written and oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Advanced organizational, project and time management skills with the ability to multi-task detailed-oriented assignments with tight deadlines
- Applying past practice experience to role as adviser to practicing lawyers
- A good understanding of business trends and lawyers’ practice needs
- Advanced research and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- The ability to instill confidence and build solid relationships
- Innovative and creative thinking
- A collaborative mindset with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience leading, promoting, and fostering change
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the Firm’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles
- Can be an ambassador for the firm, being professional in outlook and attitude; demonstrate commitment to privacy and ethical conduct
If this describes you, and you are interested in joining a forward-thinking firm committed to continuous process improvement and innovation, send us your details.
We thank all applicants. Only those with the required experience will be contacted.
Life After Law
1920 Yonge St. Suite 200
Toronto, ON M4S 3E2