EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. We take on risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world.
When you join our team, you’ll be helping Canadian companies bring their vision, passion and innovation to the global marketplace. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 25,000 Canadian companies and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide. You’ll work shoulder-to-shoulder with the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making a difference every day—for companies, for Canada and for the people you work with.
Year after year, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer. #LI-Hybrid
EDC is seeking a team and solution-oriented corporate, commercial lawyer with private equity experience to join its Legal Services division of approximately 27 lawyers who provide a wide range of legal services to the Corporation.
EDC’s Legal Services is a dynamic, client-oriented environment, supporting EDC’s range of activities and services. Legal Services provides legal representation and assistance for all of its product offerings including loans, investments and insurance transactions and knowledge business products. As well, the team supports EDC’s corporate function including its procurement and marketing activities.
The successful candidate will become a member of the EDC Legal Services group and specifically the Lending and Investments team which provides advice to the Corporation in relation to its activities—both on origination and back-office functions-- in the areas of corporate lending and investments including project finance, private equity and aerospace transactions. The lawyer would also be expected to support and advise other areas within EDC Legal Services, as needed.
The responsibilities for the position relate to a variety of tasks representing transaction and non-transactional work, as well as knowledge and relationship management. Key responsibilities would include the following, but lawyers are expected to handle a broad range of business needs that may not be fully summarized below:
- Involvement in all aspects of an undertaking from the development and structuring of a transaction to the negotiation and documenting of the arrangement
- Identify issues in file matters requiring consideration of appropriate risk mitigation measures and corporate perspective and knowledge
- Draft legal documentation
- Involvement in asset management matters (waivers, consents and amendments) relating to financing and investment products
- Provide legal advice on various matters of law pertaining to the activities of EDC, such as EDC's rights and obligations under EDC contracts, interpretation of internal documentation and policies in areas of specialty, advice on authorization and compliance requirements, including interpreting the Export Development Act, the Financial Administration Act and other relevant statutes
- Retain and supervise the services of outside counsel (both foreign and domestic)
- Review and comment on outside counsel's documents and advice, relating to undertakings in which the Corporation is or proposes to become involved
- Proactively support the Corporation, the legal and business teams through collaboration and team work
- Undergraduate degree in Law
- Applicants must be licensed by a Canadian provincial bar and in good standing to practice law as a barrister and solicitor in any Canadian province or territory
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant commercial experience having regard to the position described
- Experience in private equity
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), including strong drafting skills
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and manage a high volume of tasks and transactions effectively and efficiently
- Working knowledge of legal services principles and practices
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills to apply to a variety of complex issues and to provide advanced solutions
- Proactive lawyering and risk mitigation skills acquired in a commercially oriented, dynamic environment
- Strong judgment and decision-making qualities, and collaborative in soliciting the input of others, both within the legal team and outside the team where appropriate
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills to deal with conflicting and complex areas
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Strong planning and project management skills
- Bilingual in both official languages (English & French)
- Experience in investment transactions
- $124,800 - $187,300 + performance-based incentive