DDO Health Law and INQ Data Law have an exciting opportunity for a corporate/commercial lawyer with 5-8 years of experience. This is a one-year contract position to fill a parental leave vacancy.
All our lawyers are currently working remotely; consequently, candidates for this position need not be located in Toronto or surrounding areas.
Job Description for Corporate/Commercial Lawyer
The Corporate/Commercial Lawyer must be:
- Someone who inspires confidence in others
- Someone who takes pride in his or her work quality (conveys a polished, thoughtful image)
- A flexible team player who works well with others
- Able to organize his or her own work to respond to a multiplicity of demands in a very busy area while appropriately prioritizing work activities
- Able to work independently with minimal direct supervision
The ideal candidate is someone with 5-8 years of experience in practicing law. It would be a strong advantage for the candidate to have experience in providing legal advice:
- To health care providers
- On public sector procurement matters
- On Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act
The Corporate/Commercial Lawyer’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advising clients on commercial law issues including (but not limited to):
- Review and drafting of requests for proposals and related agreements
- Review and drafting of procurement contracts
- Advice on proper procurement processes, including the Broader Public Sector Procurement Directive, Canadian Free Trade Agreement, and Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement
- Drafting of services agreements between non-profit parties
- Drafting of alliance arrangements between non-profit parties
- Advising clients on corporate law issues including (but not limited to):
- Restructuring (mergers, amalgamations, changes to incorporating documents)
- Board education/training
- Secretarial support to Boards (preparation of resolutions)
- Advising clients on privacy issues
- Writing blogs, articles, newsletters and updates for clients and external publications
- Organizing and participating in firm conferences, podcasts, videos
- Participating in social media efforts such as LinkedIn and other platforms
- Training clients
- Assisting with Request for Proposal submissions and other client development activities
- Mentoring students and junior lawyers (if any)
- Administrative tasks
This is a one-year contract position to fill a parental leave vacancy.
- Salary depends on seniority and expertise. There is a base salary and eligibility for a bonus after the billable target is reached.
- Law Society fees and insurance premiums and membership in the Canadian Bar Association/Ontario Bar Association
- Annual budget for conferences, educational events, memberships and reference materials
Contact: Please express your interest by sending a cover letter and CV to: Mallory Sofianos, Office Manager, c/o email@example.com.
We are a boutique health and data law firm. We help health care administrators and clinicians feel confident in their roles by providing legal advice, education, and usable tools. We help those in the health sector understand the law and how to work together for the betterment of clinical outcomes and efficient delivery of services.
The Corporate/Commercial Lawyer must feel connected to and able to live our firm values, which are:
- We bring order and calm to chaos through methodical approaches to all situations.
- We take fears away, de-escalating contentious situations to achieve fair resolutions.
- We offer practical solutions that are tailored to the circumstances of the client
- We use plain English to explain complex issues, making understanding simple and easy.
- We are mindful of all aspects of a situation and the implications for the future.
- We will break with conventional thinking to find workable solutions.
- We anticipate and plan for future events to mitigate risks.
- We treat others with compassion, kindness and non-judgment.
- We bring passion and vitality to our business interactions.
- We are committed to continual learning and growth, personally and professionally.