On February 22, 2018 the province announced that EllisDon is the successful proponent for the New Toronto Courthouse construction. The NTC will bring together many Toronto Ontario Court of Justice criminal courts, and will include:
- A barrier-free environment.
- Video conferencing to allow witnesses to appear from remote locations and in-custody individuals to appear from detention facilities.
- Closed-circuit television to enable children and other vulnerable witnesses to appear before the court from a private room.
- Courtroom video/audio systems to allow counsel to display video evidence recorded in various formats and for the simultaneous viewing of evidence.
- A single point of entry with magnetometers, baggage scanners, continuous video surveillance, and separate corridors to ensure the security of judges, members of the public and the accused.
- The project also includes the first learning centre in an Ontario courthouse focusing on Indigenous history and issues related to the justice system in Ontario.
Construction on the NTC is slated to begin in the spring of 2018, with anticipated completion in the spring of 2022.