Happy new year!
I am honoured to have had the opportunity to work with such dedicated volunteers and staff in 2016. It is our combined effort and enthusiasm that helps ensure our members are heard. I look forward to continuing our important work in 2017.
As 2016 closed, you may have read my article in the Toronto Star which highlighted the importance of modernizing our courts and offered suggestions for steps the government could take right now to help move things forward. I also had the pleasure of meeting with officials from the office of the Attorney General, including the Deputy Attorney General, in late December. Again, this was an opportunity to raise the important issues of the bar on your behalf.
The OBA does a lot of advocacy work, and that is due in no small part to the contributions of our members. Our efforts will continue well into the year ahead.
The OBA also brings high-quality programs and services directly to you. As we look to the year ahead, I wanted to take the opportunity to remind you how many ways you can get the most benefit from your OBA membership:
- Enrol in one (or more) of our 40 Practice Sections to build your network and enhance your skills with customized resources curated specifically for your chosen area
- Volunteer on a Section Committee or run for Section Executive positions and enhance your professional profile (available only to members)
- Contribute to our collective voice and have your voice heard as we bring the issues important to our profession to the forefront
- Enroll in our Find-a-Lawyer Directory and grow your client base
- Build referrals through our Member-to-Member Directory
- Create your own personalized dashboard to access the latest news, articles, discussions and programs.
Another way to get involved is to participate in the OBA's award-winning Professional Development programs. Next month, OBA's Institute is a perfect opportunity. This is the OBA’s signature event. From February 7-11, you will have the chance to engage with thought leaders and other professionals at the forefront of the most pressing issues facing our profession. It’s also an unparalleled opportunity to mingle with colleagues and friends from across the province. With over 30 programs and events planned, this is a perfect opportunity to complete your 2017 CPD hours all at one event.
With a fresh new year ahead, let the OBA be your partner in your professional and personal development. We have a lot to offer, and together we can make 2017 a successful year.
Best wishes to you all for a very happy and prosperous new year.
Ontario Bar Association