2021 Award Winner
The winner of the 2021 Michael MacNaughton Student Writing Award for Insolvency Law is Alexander William Overton.
About the Award
The Michael MacNaughton Student Writing Award for Insolvency Law was created to encourage law students who are CBA/OBA Members who are pursuing a J.D. degree at an Ontario law school or registered as a student-at-law member of the Law Society of Ontario to prepare a written submission, having regard to the criteria below, on a recent case or a topical issue of interest to insolvency practitioners. The late Michael MacNaughton was one of the leading insolvency lawyers in Canada and was well known for his consistent contributions to the body of literature in the area of insolvency and restructuring.
- The individual submitting a written submission must be a law student who is a CBA/OBA member and who is pursuing a J.D. degree at an Ontario law school or registered as a student-at-law member of the Law Society of Ontario or registered as part of the Lawyer Licensing Process.
- The written submission must be for either:
- a case comment on an insolvency-related case decided in the last two years and of interest to insolvency practitioners; or
- an article which addresses a topical and recent issue of interest to insolvency practitioners.
- The written submission should be no more than 1500 words.
- The deadline for the written submission is Friday, April 9, 2021.
- The Executive of the Insolvency Law Section of the OBA will select a winner of the Award by May 2021.
- The winner of the Award will attend at the Commercial List/OBA/OAIRP Education and Golf Retreat Day (TBA) and participate in the events of the day, at which time the Award will be presented.
- The winner’s written submission will be featured in an OBA Insolvency Law Section website.
- 2020 - Mandy Bedford
- 2019 - Joshua Foster
- 2018 - Nicholas Avis
- 2017 - James Hardy
- 2016 - Vanja Ginic
- 2015 - Rachel Bengino & Mitchel Grossell
- 2014 - Tori Crawford & Lee Nicholson