Each year, the Public Sector Section of the Ontario Bar Association ("OBA") presents the OBA Tom Marshall Award of Excellence for Public Sector Lawyers.
About the Award
This award is established to recognize, honour, and celebrate the outstanding achievement of lawyers practising in the province of Ontario in the public interest. The award is named for Mr. Marshall in recognition of his excellence and dedication as a public sector lawyer.
Thomas C. Marshall, K.C. has, during more than thirty years as counsel with the Crown Law Office -Civil, made an exemplary contribution to the public service, to the law and to the profession. As counsel with the civil litigation branch of the provincial Ministry of the Attorney General since 1974, six of these years as Director of the office, Tom Marshall has conducted or supervised much significant litigation on behalf of Ontario including precedent setting cases in the Supreme Court of Canada.
In addition, he is a mentor to numerous students and young lawyers, giving freely of his time and experience to guide them in their work for the province. More seasoned lawyers continue to benefit from his sage advice.
Tom Marshall has also been dedicated to the profession that he has served. As a member of the CBA for many years, Tom represented the rights and interests of lawyers in the private and public sector. He was selected President of the OBA for the 2000-2001 term. During his time as President, he recognized the particular interest of public sector lawyers as well as the need for many private sector lawyers to better understand the public sector role. Tom Marshall founded the Public Sector Lawyers Section of the OBA to help meet this interest.
Deadline for Applications
Nominations and supporting material must be filed with the Chair of the Nomination Committee of the section.
Nominations must be filed by Monday, April 8, 2024 - 5:00 pm:
SUBMIT A NOMINATION
Section Executive Liaison
Ontario Bar Association
20 Toronto Street, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M5C 2B8
Tel: (800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 312
Fax: (416) 869-1390
This Award is open to a lawyer, and an OBA Member, currently or formerly practicing or working in the province of Ontario in the public sector and working, or having worked, for any
- Level of government;
- Crown corporation;
- Legal aid office or clinic;
- Public statutory body;
- Board, agency or commission; or
- Administrative authorities; or
- in the broader public sector e.g. hospitals, universities, colleges and school boards and NGOs.
Criteria (Choose one or more as applicable)
- outstanding mentorship contribution to public sector lawyers through personally sharing knowledge, experience, skill and commitment with articling students and/or lawyers; or
- outstanding organizational contribution in government, in the Ontario Bar Association, or in the Law Society of Ontario in relation to public sector issues and/or public sector lawyers; or
- outstanding legal contribution either as a barrister or solicitor including in the areas of public policy and legislation; or
- outstanding contribution in the development of public sector legal practice and related matters, through scholarly and other writing, and speaking commitments; or
- outstanding commitment and service to the public; or
- exemplary achievements in the area of social justice or community affairs.
Nominations must be on the form provided. The nominator does not have to be an OBA member, however, an OBA member must support the nomination. Nominators must attach a brief statement outlining their reasons for nominating the candidate, including any press clippings and any other relevant information. Candidates must provide a CV and the names and contact information for three references who can speak to whether the candidate meets the criteria for receiving the award.
The Award will be presented at a program or other function of the Section as determined by the Executive.
The Chair is to appoint a Nominations Committee to solicit nominations, recommend candidates to the Executive, and administer the Award and Award ceremony. The composition of the Nomination Committee is at the discretion of the Chair but it should consist of a minimum of five and a maximum of seven members, and may include a representative from the Municipal, Provincial, and Federal governments, the previous Chair of the Section, last year’s winner of the Award, a Judge from the public sector, and Tom Marshall.
The recipient of the Award shall be chosen from candidates submitted by the Nomination Committee to the Executive of the Public Sector Lawyers Section by a majority vote of the Executive at a regular meeting or a special meeting called for that purpose. The Executive may decide to present the award to individuals who have been nominated in previous years as indicated on the nomination form.
This nomination may be considered for the Award for up to the next three years (provided that the candidate remains an OBA member at the time of consideration), unless the nominator contacts the Nomination Committee to withdraw this nomination.
The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
Section Executive Liaison
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 312
Past recipient winners of the OBA Tom Marshall Award of Excellence for Public Sector Lawyers include:
- 2022 - Ena Chadha
- 2021 - Paul Dubé
- 2019 - Richard Steinecke
- 2018 - Orlando Da Silva
- 2017 - Voy T. Stelmaszynski
- 2016 - The Honourable Howard I. Wetston, K.C.
- 2015 - Mary Ellen Bench
- 2014 - S. Ronald Ellis, K.C.
- 2013 - Kim Twohig
- 2012 - Anna Kinastowski, Dale Yurka, Michael Fleishman (posthumously)
- 2011 - Leslie McIntosh
- 2010 - Janet Minor - Toronto
- 2009 - Andre Marin - Ottawa
- 2008 - M. David Lepofsky, O. Ont. – Toronto
- 2007 - Joint Recipients The Honourable Madam Justice Denise E. Bellamy, Toronto and Roslyn J. Levine, K.C., Toronto (presented at OBA Festive Awards Dec 2006)