About the Award
The Award of Excellence in Real Estate was created to recognize exceptional contributions and/or achievements in real estate law by members of the OBA.
- Teaching of real estate law;
- Development of real estate law including lecturing, scholarly writing and lobbying;
- Enhancement of the practice of real estate law;
- and leadership in the real estate bar, the government, the Law Society of Ontario and OBA in relation to real estate issues, real estate legislation and the operation of the Land Registration System.
A nominee must be a member in good standing of the CBA/OBA. Current members of the Real Property section executive or the OBA Board of Directors are not eligible for nomination. Nominators must be members in good standing of the CBA/OBA.
Complete the online nomination form and submit it on or before Friday, March 5, 2021 - 4:00pm along with a letter of recommendation relating to the award criteria and a curriculum vitae of the nominee.
Online Nomination Form
The award is presented annually at an event held on a date in the Spring as determined by the Section Executive.
The Nomination Committee will review the nominations and recommend a candidate to the Real Property Section Executive. The number of awards to be presented annually will not normally exceed one.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 340
Past recipient of the Award for Excellence in Real Estate include:
- 2020 - Bram Potechin, Ottawa
- 2019 - Steven I. Pearlstein, Toronto
- 2018 - Caterina Galati, Toronto
- 2017 - Jerry B. Udell, Windsor
- 2016 - Kathleen A. Waters, Toronto
- 2015 - Donald V. Thomson, Toronto
- 2014 - Lisa A Borsook, Toronto
- 2013 - Maurizio Romanin, Toronto
- 2012 - A. Edwin Honeywell, Ottawa
- 2012 - James (Kim) H. Little, London
- 2011 - Bradley McLellan, Toronto
- 2010 - Kate Murray, Toronto
- 2009 - Jeff Lem and Mark Freedman, Toronto
- 2008 - Audrey Loeb, Toronto
- 2007 - Harry Herskowitz, Toronto
- 2006 - Laird J Rasmussen, Ottawa
- 2005 - Miriam A. Kelly, Q.C., LSM, Toronto
- 2004 - The Honourable Paul M. Perell, Toronto
- 2003 - Garth Manning, Q.C., Toronto
- 2002 - Craig R. Carter, Toronto
- 2001 - Albert A. Strauss Q.C., Toronto
- 2000 - Sidney H. Troister, Toronto
- 1999 - The Honourable Hilda McKinlay, Toronto
- 1998 - Brian D. Bucknall, Toronto
- 1997 - Donald H. Lamont, Toronto
- 1996 - Reuben M. Rosenblatt, Q.C., LSM, Toronto