2022 Award Recipient
Partner, Mirza Kwok Criminal Defence Lawyers
The OBA Criminal Justice Section is pleased to announce Faisal Mirza, Partner, Mirza Kwok Criminal Defence Lawyers as the recipient of the 2022 OBA Award for Excellence in Criminal Justice.
About the Award
The award recognizes outstanding contribution to the advancement of criminal law. The recipient shall demonstrate leadership in the criminal law bar through knowledge, experience, skill, commitment, passion, strength of character, and all or some of the following:
- Contribution to legal education and professional development including, but not limited to, lecturing at law schools, participation in continuing legal education programs, and academic or professional writing
- Participation in the OBA Criminal Justice Section Executive or a member of the Law Society of Ontario in good standing
- Leadership in the criminal justice bar by acting as a role model and mentor for new members of the profession and to his or her peers
- Contribution to the community through pro bono work or other projects or initiatives
- Contribution as counsel or as a judge to the development of the criminal law legislative framework
The following are standard criteria and must apply to the award:
- There is one criminal justice section award.
- An eligible candidate must be an OBA Member in good standing.
- An eligible candidate cannot be a member of the current executive, or the OBA Board of Directors.
- A candidate must be nominated by 2 OBA members.
- The nominators must submit a paragraph of a maximum 1000 words outlining why they feel the candidate deserves the award.
- The nomination must be accompanied by a copy of the nominee’s CV and a list of publications.
- The nomination may be accompanied by up to 5 supporting letters.
Nominations and supporting material must be filed by 5:00 pm on Friday, March 4 2022
- The selection committee will consist of the
- immediate past chair(s)
- vice-chair(s), and
- a member outside of the GTA
- The selection committee will set the deadline for nominations each year.
- The selection committee may decide not to give the award in a given year.
- The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
Tele: 416-869-1047 ext. 399
Toll free: 1-800-668-8900
Previous Award Winner
- 2021 - Jody Berkes, Berkes Law
- 2020 - Brock Jones, Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General
- 2019 - Miriam Henry, Ministry of the Attorney General
- 2018 - Michal Sokolski, Crown Attorney for Niagara North
- 2017 - Enzo Rondinelli, Lafontaine & Associates