About the Award
The Hoffstein Book Prize was created to recognize contributions and/or achievements by younger members of the Ontario Bar Association to the area of wills, trusts and estates.
Any Trusts and Estates Section member of OBA in good standing with less than 15 years of practice.
Any member of the Trusts and Estates Section of OBA in good standing is eligible to nominate a candidate by submission in writing, together with a curriculum vitae outlining the nominee's qualifications.
Online Nomination Form
Nominations must be filed by Friday, April 2th 2021 at 5:00 pm
A Committee consisting of the Past Chair, the Chair and one member of the Hoffstein family shall be formed each year. The Nomination Committee’s responsibilities will include:
- Soliciting Nominations from Section members including members outside of Toronto.
- Obtaining information about any candidate including letters of support and curriculum vitae
- Reviewing the nominations and deciding whether and to whom the award should be presented
- Otherwise coordinating all matters relating to the Book Prize.
Conflicts of Interest
If any member of the Nominating Committee practices at the same firm as any of the nominees, that member must declare a conflict and will be replaced by another individual selected by the other members of the Nominating Committee who have no such conflict. For greater certainty, a member of the Section Executive who practices at the same firm as any of the nominees is not prevented from participating in the consultation process referred to above.
Criteria for Selection
The recipient shall demonstrate leadership in the trusts and estates bar through knowledge, experience skill, commitment, passion and strength of character, plus academic excellence through lecturing at a law school, participation in continuing legal education and/or academic writing.
The award is presented at an Award Dinner
The Recipient will receive a book of their choice with a maximum dollar value as may be determined by the Nominating Committee.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 399
- Lucinda E. Main, Beard Winter LLP
- Corina Weigl, Partner, Fasken Martineau LLP
- Kimberly A. Whaley, Founder, Whaley Estate Litigation
- Sender Tator, Partner, Schnurr Kirsh Schnurr Oelbaum Tator LLP
- Rachel L. Blumenfeld, Partner, Miller Thomson LLP
- Nimali Gamage, Partner, Goddard Gamage Stephens LLP