2018 Award Recipient
The Ontario Bar Association’s Insolvency Law Section is pleased to announce Joseph M. Marin as the 2018 OBA Murray Klein Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law.
Mr. Marin will be honoured at a reception.
Award Presentation Information
About the Award
The Insolvency Law Section of the OBA is pleased to present the 2018 Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law. The Award was created to recognize Ontario insolvency and restructuring lawyers for their combined and consistently demonstrated integrity, decency and selflessness in their approach to professional practice - qualities that our friend and colleague, Murray Klein, was himself well recognized for by those who engaged with him both in and outside of professional practice.
The recipient of this award must have all of the following attributes:
- has practiced insolvency and restructuring law in Ontario for at least 15 years;
- would be generally accepted by his or her peers as having consistently demonstrated the combined qualities of integrity, decency and selflessness in his or her approach to professional practice;
- is a member in good standing of the OBA and the Insolvency Law Section; and
- is a licensee in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada;
The Executive of the OBA Insolvency Law Section will strike a nominating committee at its April meeting each year for the purposes of recommending to the Executive at its May meeting in each year, or at such other times as decided by the Executive, an individual who should receive the Murray Klein Memorial Award for that year.
Unless otherwise resolved by the Executive, the nominating committee shall consist of the current chair, current vice-chair and past chair of the Executive. No member of the nominating committee shall be eligible to receive the award in any year on which they are on the nominating committee.
The Murray Klein Memorial Award need not be awarded each and every year if the nominating committee or the Executive believes that making no award in a given year is appropriate in the circumstances.
Framed certificate or plaque.
To be presented at a designated event to be scheduled on an annual basis.
An article highlighting the recipient of the Murray Klein Memorial Award should be contained in an edition of Insolvency News.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 405
2017 Award Recipient
Jay A. Swartz, Esq., Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
The Ontario Bar Association’s Insolvency Law Section, presented the OBA Murray Klein Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law, to Jay A. Swartz on June 5th, 2017. Friends, family and colleagues gathered to celebrate Mr. Swartz significant contributions to the profession.
View event photos
Past recipient winners of the Murray Klein Award for Excellence in Insolvency Law include:
- 2017 - Jay A. Swartz, Esq.
- 2016 - Tony Reyes
- 2015 - Kevin McElcheran
- 2014 - Michael B. Rotsztain
- 2013 - Gale Rubenstein, Toronto
- 2012 - Michael J. MacNaughton, Toronto
- 2011 - Daniel R. Dowdall
- 2010 - Robin D. Walker, Q. C.
- 2009 - Harry Fogul