2022 Award Recipient
The OBA’s Charity and Not-for-Profit Section is pleased to announce Theresa Man, Carters as the recipient of its 2022 AMS/John Hodgson Award of Excellence in Charity and Not-for-Profit Law. View Bio
About the Award
OBA in conjunction with Associated Medical Services Incorporated (AMS) created the AMS/John Hodgson Award to recognize John Hodgson's long standing contribution to AMS and the charitable community. This Award recognizes exceptional contribution and/or achievement by members of OBA in the following areas: development of the law, which is integral to the governance and accountability in the voluntary sector; enhancement of the practice of law in the charity arena; and leadership and service in the charitable sector, Charity and Not-for-Profit Law Section, government, Law Society of Ontario and OBA, exemplifying individual lawyers and legal advisors to the voluntary sector.
Any individual who is a member of the OBA in good standing. (Eligible candidates can be members of the current Executive.)
The award will be presented by the Charity and Not-for-Profit Law Section
Any member of the OBA in good standing is eligible to nominate a candidate by submission in writing, together with curriculum vitae outlining the nominee's qualifications. The Executive Committee has approved a Nominations Committee to provide recommendations. The Nominator must indicate that the candidate has been advised of the nomination prior to the nomination deadline and consents to the nomination or explain why this is not the case.
The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
A special plaque will be presented to the recipient.
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 407
Past recipient winners of the OBA Award of Excellence in Charity and Not-for-Profit Law AMS/John Hodgson Award include:
- 2020- Linda Godel
- 2018 - Gilles LeVasseur
- 2016 - Brian Iler
- 2014 - Hugh M. Kelly, Q.C.
- 2012 - Clifford Goldfarb, Toronto
- 2011 - Jane Burke-Robertson - Ottawa
- 2010 - Susan M. Manwaring, Toronto
- 2009 - William Pashby, Toronto
- 2008 - Donald J. Bourgeois, Kitchener
- 2007 - Kenneth R. Goodman, Toronto
- 2006 - James M. Parks, Toronto
- 2005 - David P. Stevens, Toronto
- 2004 - Dianne E. Lister, Toronto (Now in Peterborough)
- 2003 - Marnie Whitaker, Toronto
- 2002 - Terry Carter, Orangeville
- 2001 - Arthur Drache, Q.C., Ottawa
- 2000 - John Hamilton, Toronto
- 1998 - Wolfe D. Goodman, Q.C., Toronto
- 1997 - John Hodgson, Q.C., Toronto