2022 Award Recipient
Principal, Cooper Mediation
The OBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is pleased to announce Vance Cooper, Principal, Cooper Mediation as the recipient of the 2022 OBA Award of Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
About the Award
The ADR Award of Excellence recognizes exceptional contributions and/or achievements in Alternative Dispute Resolution in two or more of the following areas: Excellence in the practice of ADR; Participation in continuing legal education at the OBA, Canadian Bar Association, Law Society of Ontario or other organizations on ADR issues; Writing and teaching on ADR issues; Mentoring of other persons in ADR; Participation in law reform initiatives that touch upon ADR; and Promotion of the use of, and generally providing leadership in ADR.
The nominee must be a member of the CBA/OBA in good standing, but cannot be a member of the current Executive Committee of the section.
The following criteria will be considered in determining the recipient of the Award.
- Excellence in the practice of ADR;
- Participation in continuing legal education at the OBA, Canadian Bar Association, Law Society of Ontario or other organizations on ADR issues;
- Writing and teaching on ADR issues;
- Mentoring of other persons in ADR;
- Participation in law reform initiatives that touch upon ADR; and
- Promotion of the use of, and generally providing leadership in ADR.
The nominee must qualify under at least two of the criteria set out above.
A nomination requires the signature of one OBA member in good standing. To assist the Committee, each nomination shall be accompanied by a summary of the reasons for the nomination.
The award is presented usually in the Fall of the current year.
A plaque is presented to the recipient.
The Selection Committee shall consider OBA policies, rules and guidelines on Diversity and Inclusion when selecting the winner of the Award.
Mana Khami Harrison Pensa LLP
Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 ext. 312
Past recipient winners of the Award for Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution include:
- 2021 - The Honourable Mary Jo M. Nolan
- 2020 - William G. Horton
- 2019 - Elaine Newman
- 2017 - Cinnie Noble
- 2016 - Jonathan T. Fidler
- 2015 - Harvey J. Kirsh
- 2014 - Hilary Linton, Toronto
- 2013 - R. Roy McMurtry, Q.C., Toronto
- 2012 - Philip Epstein, Q.C., Toronto
- 2011 - Barry B. Fisher, Toronto
- 2010 - The Honourable MR. Robert N. Beaudoin, Ottawa
- 2009 - Paul M. Iacono, Q.C., Toronto
- 2008 - The Honourable Warren K. Winkler, Toronto
- 2007 - Anne E. Grant, Toronto
- 2006 - Allan J. Stitt - Toronto
- 2005 - Leslie Macleod - Toronto
- 2004 - Rick Weiler - Toronto
- 2003 - Kathleen Kelly - Toronto
- 2002 - Dr. Barbara Landau - Toronto
- 2001 - Donald E. Short - Toronto
- 2000 - Joint recipients - D. Paul Emond & June Maresca - both of Toronto (Maresca - now a Judge)
- 1999 - Genevieve A. Chornenki - Toronto