About the Award
The OBA's Heather McArthur Memorial award recognizes exceptional contributions and/or achievements by a young lawyer in the field of continuing legal education or development of the law for the benefit of the profession or the citizens of Ontario. Such contribution or achievement may, for example and without limitation, relate to authorship, presentation, innovation, organization or delivery of programs or materials in respect of continuing legal education, professional development or law reform.
Any person, who, at the time that the person is nominated for the award, meets the following criteria:
- is a member of the OBA, in good standing;
- is a member of the Bar of Ontario, a student enrolled at a law school in Ontario, or is on the teaching faculty at a law school in Ontario;
- has practiced law for not more than 10 years, been enrolled in a law school in Ontario, is an articling student in Ontario, or taught in a law school in Ontario for not more than 10 years; or
- is not older than 40 years of age at the end of the calendar year during which they are nominated.
The Award shall be a plaque listing all winners of the award, to be displayed at OBA's premises. A glass plaque will be presented to the award winner.
Any OBA member, in good standing, may initiate a nomination. The nomination should comply with the following criteria:
- it must be on the prescribed nomination form and contain the signatures of three OBA members in good standing;
- it must be accompanied by the nominee’s résume and a statement of the achievements of the candidate for the award.
While it is not mandatory, nominators and/or candidates may submit with the application supporting letters.
The nominee must be advised by one of the nominators that his or her name has been put forward for this award prior to the nomination deadline.
This award is discretionary and no award need be granted in any given year. No more than one award may be given in any fiscal year.
The OBA Awards Committee will make the decision to make the award in any given year, and select the winner. For the purpose of the decisions with respect to this Award, the Chair of Professional Development or his/her delegate shall be a member of the Awards Committee.
Awards will be present at the OBA Award Gala on June 9, 2022 at the King Edward hotel in Toronto.
Deadline for Applications
Deadline for the return of Nomination Form and supporting materials is Thursday March 31, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The Awards Committee
Atten: Valerie Dallas
Executive Office Lead
Ontario Bar Association
300-20 Toronto St.
Toronto, ON M5C 2B8
Phone: (800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 322
Fax: (416) 869 - 3197
Executive Office Lead
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 x 322
Past recipient winners of the The Heather McArthur Memorial Young Lawyers Award include:
- 2020 - Chantelle T. Cseh
- 2019 - H. Michael Rosenberg
- 2018 - Jessica S. Braude
- 2017 - Paul Jonathan Saguil
- 2016 - Brock Jones
- 2015 - Ranjan Agarwal
- 2014 - Fareen L. Jamal
- 2013 - Guillermo Schible
- 2012 - Adam Aptowitzer
- 2011 - Susannah B. Roth