ABOUT THE AWARD
OBA's Joel Kuchar Award for Professionalism and Civility was created to honour one OBA member each year who has consistently demonstrated exemplary commitment to the ideals of professionalism and civility in the practice of law.
Any member in good standing (except a Member of the current Board and the Awards Committee) of the Ontario Bar Association is eligible for the award.
Criteria for Selection:
- One recipient per year;
- The following factors, in addition to the OBA’s Minimum Criteria for Section Awards, will be considered in determining the recipient of the Award:
- A demonstrated commitment to professionalism;
- A demonstrated commitment to civility, fairness, and integrity, and a dedication to the highest ideals of the profession;
- Knowledge of the law and a willingness to share that knowledge through mentorship, participation in legal education, writing, and lecturing;
- Exemplary participation and generosity with one’s time through involvement in activities or events of this association or other professional association.
A nomination requires the signatures of three OBA Members in good standing. To assist the Committee in its selection, please include the nominee’s resume and supporting letters if possible. The Committee is also interested in contributions to the community made by the nominee.
Deadline for Applications
Deadline for the return of Nomination Form and supporting materials is Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5:00pm.
Executive Office Lead
(800) 668-8900 or (416) 869-1047 Ext. 322
Past recipients of the Joel Kuchar Award for Professionalism and Civility include:
- 2020 - Esi A. Codjoe and J. Gregory Richards
- 2019 - John R. Cockburn, Q.C. and B. Robin Moodie
- 2018 - Marcia J. Oliver and R. Lee Akazaki