Check in here for your one-stop source to court and MAG information and updates on the reopening of Ontario courthouses that began on July 6th. Updates on COVID-19 cases reported at Ontario court houses will be reported here as we receive them.
Please be reminded that completing the MAG courthouse screening is a pre-requisite for everyone seeking to enter the courthouse. It can be completed online prior to arrival at the courthouse, or on paper or orally where required, at the courthouse.
If you have questions or encounter issues, you can email us at email@example.com and we will communicate the issues to the courts and government in order to effect quick solutions and provide answers to our members.
The updated list of courthouses that have reopened can be found here.
Latest Health Updates:
Health Inforamtion Update - Brampton Courthouse MAG provided health information regarding the Brampton Courthouse located at 7755 Hurontario Street. Today MAG was informed that an individual who visited the building tested positive for COVID-19. View the July 15 memo for the Brampton Courthouse
SCJ: Amendments to Consolidated Notice Regarding Small Claims Court July 23, 2021
The Consolidated Notice to the Profession and Public Regarding the Small Claims Court was amended today to:
- Provide for scheduling terms of payment hearings and new trials.
- Add a reminder to file all documents that a claim is based on.
- Explain that the Court is not dismissing actions for delay until further notice.
- Clarify and shorten various sections.
SCJ: Small Claims Court Working Group Webinar of June 23, 2021
The Small Claims Court Working Group has released the webinar taped on June 23, 2021, which addresses questions about the small claims court processes and procedures, both during and after COVID-19. The webinar can be found through this link. The slides used in the webinar are also available through the Superior Court of Justice website.
SCJ: Amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure Regarding Out-of-Court Examinations and mediations July 20, 2021
A regulation was filed to amend court rules and forms for civil proceedings in the Superior Court of Justice: O. Reg. 526/21, amending the Rules of Civil Procedure.
This regulation revises the procedure to fix the method of attendance for out-of-court examinations and mediations. It makes amendments to six rules and four forms.
The rule amendments include:
- revising r. 1.08 (8) to alter the procedure to object to the proposed method of attendance for an out-of-court step and to capture more out-of-court steps;
- clarifying the language in r. 1.08 (1), (5), and (6) regarding the method of attendance at a hearing or other in-court step;
- clarifying that mediators shall give notice of the method of attendance in rr. 24.1.09 (7) and 75.1.07 (7); and
- removing the reference to attending mediation sessions “in person” in rr. 75.1.03, 75.1.05(4), and 75.2.02.
Forms 24.1B, 34A, 34B, and 53C are revised to provide information to the recipient about the procedure to object to the selected method of attendance.
A summary of the regulation is available on Ontario’s Regulatory Registry.
The amendments and forms will come into force on September 1, 2021.
OCJ: Accepting Applications for s.810 Criminal Code Peace Bonds Resumes July 15, 2021
Effective July 19, 2021, the Ontario Court of Justice will resume accepting applications for s. 810 Criminal Code peace bonds, province-wide. Please visit the Ontario Courts of Justice website for additional details.
Check back regularly as we will update the list of courthouses and provide other updates as we receive updates from government and the courts.